Monday, February 1, 2010

I would have, but a building fell on my car...


Seriously folks. It happened. I ain't makin' this up. Take a look...

OK, here's the story. I took my dog to the groomer (she looks fab now, btw) and parked in a spot at the end of the stripmall. While I was inside (for a mere 3 minutes!), there was a big crash.

I step out to look and see a trash truck stopped beside my car and chunks of concrete and bricks lying around. I walk over, see the dent in my hood and asked the trash guy (who was actually pretty darn cute for a guy missing his bottom front teeth) what happened. He explains that as the truck came around the building, the winch on the top caught a cable affixed to the buliding. The cable pulled out and caused the corner to crumble. He shakes his head and and finishes with "I juss cain't believe it!?!" Well dude, I juss cain't believe it either...

AND...this is the most amazing part...the part that makes me shake my head and shrug my shoulders and wonder how my karma got so fucked... This is the 3rd time this car has been hit WHILE PARKED!! The 3rd stinking time in 6 years! WTF!! I can't even believe it myself and I'm livin' this dream. When I called my husband at work and told him the story ("Hi, I'm fine, but I need to let you know that part of a building fell on my car....") he was quiet for a moment before saying "Honey, that is AMAZING!" and then asked me to forward the pics to his phone so he could show them off to co-workers.

I just can't express how deeply this has shaken my faith in my ability to pick a parking spot. I feel that for the most part I am a pretty capable and intelligent individual. I graduated college, held a professional job for 10-plus years, have flown cross-country, held a one-woman art show, etc., but I can't park my friggin' car and expect it to be in tact when I come back!
However, due to all this I now have THE BEST excuse EVER. I came up with it when I was telling my husband that "Well, I had a whole bunch of errands I was gonna run this afternoon, but a building fell on my car." So, my new excuse is "I would have, but a building fell on my car." Feel free to try it, works for about anything. "I was gonna clean the house up, but a building fell on my car." "I was gonna take the dry cleaning, but a building fell on my car." "I was gonna donate blood, but a building fell on my car." You get the idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment